Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Surving the holidays Part 2 - How to avoid your Grinchy side in three easy steps

So there I was yesterday neck deep in work, my door closed with me cursing on the other side when a co-worker came in and asked "how was your day off? Did we bother you too much yesterday?" I guess the fact the door was closed and the F bomb was flying out of my mouth like confetti at a Katy Perry concert wasn't a clue that I didn't really want to talk just then. At the time I thought I was justified with my answer "do you really want me to answer the second part of your question right now?" Now I am feeling a little guilty.

I realized that I let those year end deadlines bite me in the ass and cause that little green beast that lurks in all of us this time of year rear it's ugly head. Let's face the facts this time of the year is stressful for everyone. We can all pretend it is all candy canes and egg nog but the reality is it's year end deadlines at work, kids having sports, school concerts, need money for all the charities and parties they have at school, work holiday parties, family functions (and dysfunctions), and the mile long to do list that just seems to get longer!

I let all those daunting things bring out my inner Grinch but after a few cups of hot tea herbal tea, a cocktail and a good night sleep I am back to the candy cane and egg nog vibe with my Grinch meter on watch out pal! I refuse to let the insanity of this time of year take away from the magic that is this time of the year. Okay that may be just a facade I wear while secretly I spike my nog and trade my candy cane for peppermint schnapps but hey we all have to do our part to keep the "Merry" in Christmas. I kid of course!

But there are a few things we can all do to keep our holiday Chi running high with out hitting the bottle. #1 Don't forget to breath! When you feel that stress begin to escalate take a deep breath before going off half cocked! Flying off the handle on a normal day doesn't do anyone any good but during the holidays it just makes you look like Scrooge meets Bobby Knight.
#2 Know our limitations and prioritize. I sat down and looked at the rest of the month as far as a deadline and functions stand point and worked out a schedule that was reasonable. YES I even changed some deadlines at work presented it to those co-workers that were involved and they all excepted the changes. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to ask. I also let coaches know that the kids would miss some practices, changed some holiday plans with friends and family and they were all okay with it too.
#3 Remember that the holidays meant to be enjoyed. When we turn them into something that we "have to do" instead of something we cherish it loses it's magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment